About Me

My photo
I am currently teaching kindergarten at Lenawee Christian School in Adrian, Michigan!

Welcome!

Welcome to my first educational blog! I am currently working on an online class to learn more about Web 2.0 tools available to me both personally and professionally. I look forward to learning a lot this summer!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

23 Things: Thing 2

Why are you participating in 23 Things? What do you hope to learn?
My purpose for participating in 23 Things to learn more about Web 2.0 tools is first and foremost to find ways to reach my students. We've all seen the slow progress of a blank stare moving across a student's face as it paralyzes any and all thinking or creativity. I like to avoid that as much as possible and believe that engaging students using the many tools available online is an easy and painless way to do that. Although I would like to think that I am familiar with may Web 2.0 tools, I am not too quick to think that anyone has it all figured out. Every day someone mentions another way of communicating and connecting that I've never heard of. I am sure that I will find many ways to improve my teaching but also find ways to grow in my own learning.

How does writing on the Internet, knowing anyone could read it, change how you write or feel about writing?
Although many adults complain about the new way in which students are misusing language through text messages full of mispelled and shortened words, I like to remind them that we used to teach courses in high school on shorthand. This type of shortened and quick communication has always had a place in our world and just because we are creating this new shorthand in a collaborative style and not through a textbook does not make it any less relevant or useful. I have found that the need to create language in many different technological realms will only cause our students to become more flexible in their communication. I have found, personally, that writing online through blogging, posting on my classroom website, on Facebook, and Twitter forces me to think more critically about my message. Is it clear? Will it be understood? Does my voice match my intention? All of those questions that we want our student writers to ask themselves before work is submitted but they rarely do because their audience is only one person - the teacher. If they could feel the pressure of a wider, more varied audience the quality of work they submit will improve.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! You have a great blog started, and you certainly have been using some web 2.0 tools more than the average teacher in our county. Hopefully, you’ll pick up some new ideas and share some of your insights with other participants through their blogs.

    Interesting debate in the Helium writers’ collective website:
    Is text messaging causing the destruction of the English language?
    http://www.helium.com/channels/543-Phone-Technologies-Issues

    Related article in Washington Post with quotes from experts:
    6,473 Texts a Month, But at What Cost?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/21/AR2009022101863.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here was a comment I found on a wiki today. It's an interesting reason for using standard English.

    "Please refrain from using 'text speak' (or txt language/sms) as it is not appropriate to educational settings, unless specifically requested. It may also be disconcerting to those who do not speak English well, as these people may need to use an online translator. The translator will not be able to interpret the context unless correct English is used. Remember that online work may have a global audience."

    ReplyDelete