About Me

My photo
I am currently teaching kindergarten at Lenawee Christian School in Adrian, Michigan!

Welcome!

Welcome to my first educational blog! I am currently working on an online class to learn more about Web 2.0 tools available to me both personally and professionally. I look forward to learning a lot this summer!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

23 Things: Thing 20

Include in your post the name of at least one podcast to which you subscribed. Describe your experience using the various search tools. Which do you prefer and why?
I subscribed to the podcast "Radio WillowWeb" from the Education Podcast Network. It's the first in the list under "Elementary". I loved that this podcast used very young children especially since we are working so hard on writing and reading fluency. I'm assuming (hoping) that these students had to write and practice reading their scripts. In this way students are writing for a real audience and then working on reading fluency so that they can sound good when creating the podcast. I also liked Podcast Alley because there are podcasts that I could use both professionally and personally. This site has a more varied approach to searching than EPN which allows you to find podcasts more easily.

On iTunes I found that there are podcasts for learning second languages. What a great resource for teachers! Wouldn't students love it if for homework they got to listen to podcasts and complete an assignment rather than do another worksheet?! There are even free v-casts of some of my daugther's favorite shows like Super Why! Also, being able to watch news shows that I miss is great. I hate the idea of TiVo or DVR because I really don't watch enough TV to bother so this is a great alternative for me.

2 comments:

  1. Tony Vincent has a PDF handbook for podcasting in the classroom available on his site: http://learninginhand.com/ We're planning to bring him back to Lenawee County in August, 2010 for the Summer Tech Symposium and a full-day on working with iPods. It's been several years since he was hear for a handheld computer workshop and we look forward to working with him again. He's a fabulous resource for working with students on podcasting.

    ITunes U is also a great place to find educational podcasts. Looks like you found some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for his site. I'll check it out and I'll look for his name in the PD list next summer.

    ReplyDelete