About Me

My photo
I am currently teaching kindergarten at Lenawee Christian School in Adrian, Michigan!

Welcome!

Welcome to my first educational blog! I am currently working on an online class to learn more about Web 2.0 tools available to me both personally and professionally. I look forward to learning a lot this summer!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

23 Things: Thing 19

Which podcasts did you find interesting? Identify one or two podcasts and describe how you would use them in your work. (Be sure to include links in your blog entry to the podcasts mentioned.)
I listened to a few of the podcasts by Grammar Girl. I liked that there were very short podcasts about specific English errors instead of long lessons about grammar. I think these would be useful for both students and adults who have questions about common (or uncommon) grammar errors. I would not use this site to correct your spouse's grammar! Ha!
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/default.aspx

I also listened to the State Superintendent Mike Flanagan's podcast (actually a v-cast) from June 11th. I think it's a great idea for those in Lansing, and others in legislative positions, to address the constituents through podcasting or v-casting. They can make themselves seem more human, reachable, and sensitive to the questions people may have. I think v-casting is even more effective in this forum because people are less likely to harshly criticize a legislator when there's a real face with the title. For the person posting the podcast, they have the advantage of time - time to have others review the podcast and time to revise and edit before posting. This is quite different from being on the spot for a newspaper, radio, or television interview. The legislator has time to think through the message and make his or her statements and position on an issue clear. I think for PD, podcasts could be a way to get teachers information they need in a format where they can pause, rewind, and have time to absorb information. Maybe this means recording parts of meetings and posting them as podcasts so people can revisit them when they've gone home or the next day or next year. Talk about a great way to keep the "Telephone" game out of education and keeping messages clear!
http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7-140-37818_45256---,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment