About Me

My photo
I am currently teaching kindergarten at Lenawee Christian School in Adrian, Michigan!

Welcome!

Welcome to my first educational blog! I am currently working on an online class to learn more about Web 2.0 tools available to me both personally and professionally. I look forward to learning a lot this summer!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

23 Things: Thing 16

How might you use this tool in your personal and/or professional life? What issues come to mind about using this tool with students (ie, they need email addresses to log-in)?
I think Google docs is a great way for teams of teachers to collaborate on creating documents without having to give up valuable planning time. This could also be a way to brainstorm ideas for an event or lesson when time to meet runs low. This could also be a way to help with ideas for Tier 1 students who need intervention but a teacher is at a loss for ideas. When we try to meet as a grade level and discuss all of our Tier 1 students in 50 minutes, it's impossible. One issue would be to keep identifying information about students out of the documents. However, after seeing the presentation by Alan November, we tried as a grade level to work on some Google docs but had a very difficult time getting it to work correctly. I'm positive it was "user error" but would like some hands-on training about how to do it right because I see it as a very valuable tool.

Using Google docs with students, hmmm. I think, as with all things, if it was used appropriately and they didn't use this email account for other purposes we'd be fine. Also, in Google's terms and conditions it states that "You may not use the Services and may not accept the Terms if (a) you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Google". I'm assuming that means that they do not want children having Google accounts. Is there still a way to use this service by creating a class email account that the teacher would monitor? This way students could log in at the same time and work on the document(s) without having individual accounts. Would that work?

2 comments:

  1. Some do caution about using Google for certain things. For example, Google has a statement that they own the material posted there, so I wouldn't write my "great American novel" on Google docs. Also wouldn't post personal financial information or private student data, so it's probably not the best tool for sharing school data among teachers. That's unfortunate because multiple users can be on a page editing. But it does have some glitches.

    As for student use, I have set up generic students accounts I use from time to time. Each year teachers can change the password and recycle them for new classes. There is more about this at Google Educator (Google it!) Accounts are tied to the teacher's account. As long as they're using just first names or using generic names I don't think there would be a problem using Google Docs with even younger students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...I'll have to look into that. I definitely think this is a useful tool especially for brainstorming. Many students need more time and aren't going to be the first to raiser their hand (or at all) but may be willing to add thoughts in a different forum. It would allow for the wait time we all know we should give but don't always remember to give.

    ReplyDelete